There’s almost nothing like a warm dish to help melt away the chills of winter.
Combining classic flavors and a blend of comforting spices, this Roasted Turkey and Cranberry Soup is a warm-up waiting to happen on a cold day. For a hearty breakfast option, Sweet Orange and Cranberry Muffins can feed the whole family – simply bake the flavorful pastries a day ahead then warm the morning of for a quick, hot breakfast.
If the craving for comfort food strikes when you don’t have time for a home-cooked dish, consider scratch-made options available at restaurants like Sweet Tomatoes or Souplantation, where guests can find 50-foot salad bars, soups, hot pastas, freshly baked breads, muffins and desserts. It’s a one-of-a-kind dining experience that allows guests the freedom to create their own wholesome meals in a family-friendly atmosphere.
Roasted Turkey and Cranberry Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 gallon
- 1 pound turkey breast meat
- 16 cups water, divided
- 8 ounces carrot, diced into 1/4-inch pieces, divided
- 8 ounces celery, diced into 1/4-inch pieces, divided
- 1/2 pound butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup turkey base
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, diced
- Cook turkey in oven. Slice into bite size pieces. Reserve to add to finished soup.
- Heat 5 cups water to boil. Cook 4 ounces carrots and 4 ounces celery 8 minutes until soft. Strain and cool in cold water. Reserve to add to finished soup.
- Melt butter. Add garlic, onion, remaining carrots and remaining celery. Saute 5 minutes. Stir in flour and continue cooking 5 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add remaining water and turkey base. Blend until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, sage, marjoram, rosemary and thyme. Heat to 190° F or low simmer. Cook 10 minutes until thickened.
- Add cream, parsley, turkey meat, cranberries and cooked carrots and celery. Stir to combine. Cook on medium heat 2 minutes.
Sweet Orange and Cranberry Muffins
Yield: Approximately two dozen muffins
- 11 ounces white flour
- 3 ounces wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 7 ounces white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 1/2 cup whole cranberries in sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Mix flours, baking powder and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Combine white sugar, buttermilk, canola oil, eggs, orange juice concentrate and orange zest. Beat to dissolve sugar.
- Mix cranberry sauce, wet mix and dry mix until thoroughly combined.
- To make sugar topping: Mix brown sugar and powdered sugar thoroughly to combine.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Spray muffin pan with quick release spray. Scoop muffins into pan.
Top each muffin with 1 teaspoon sugar topping.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes.