Denise Austin is a well known fitness specialist who has sold more than 24 million exercise videos and DVDs and authored 12 books on fitness. She also starred in the longest running fitness show in the history of television. Denise has a zest for life, positive outlook, and a can-do attitude that shows through the work she does. A top-selling author and highly sought-after speaker and TV personality, Denise has a great motivational quality that makes you feel like she’s your best friend, cheering you on as you work to become a happier, healthier person.
Denise is now starting a new fitness program called 10 Weeks, 360 Degrees that helps people lose up to 25 lbs! This workout plan is well rounded and includes all new exercises created by Denise, a meal plan you can cook from at home, inspiring motivational videos, and a way to team up with friends, co-workers, or family. To help get you started, here are some recipes that are healthy and delicious.
Denise’s Hit Guacamole
1/2 ripe avocado
1 squeeze lime juice
2 tsp. chopped cilantro
2 tsp. minced red onion
Black pepper (to taste)
Tiny pinch salt (optional)
Tiny pinch grated or minced garlic
2 stalks celery, cut into sticks
1 cup red pepper strips
- In a small bowl, lightly mash the avocado (but leave it a little chunky). Add the lime juice, cilantro, onion, pepper, salt (if using), and garlic and stir to combine.
- Serve with the celery and pepper strips for dunking.
Denise’s Skinny Enchiladas
1 Tbsp. canola or grapeseed oil
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp. chili powder (use half ancho chili powder for a smokier flavor)
2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups cooked skinless boneless chicken breast, shredded
3 cups loosely packed spinach, roughly chopped
8 organic corn tortillas
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded reduced-fat cheese
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with oil spray.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent and very soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, broth, and salt and cook until hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of the sauce. Add the chicken and spinach to the remaining sauce and cook until the spinach is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds to heat through.
- Divide the chicken filling evenly between the 8 tortillas. Roll the tortillas and arrange them seam sides down in the baking dish.
- Spread the reserved 3/4 cup sauce evenly over the tortillas and top with the cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and broil the top for 3 to 5 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Top each serving (2 enchiladas) with 2 Tbsp. Greek yogurt and scallions.
Denise’s Skinny Nachos with Veggie Chili
20 organic corn tortilla chips (if following gluten-free diet, check label to ensure chips are gluten-free)
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded reduced-fat cheese
1/4 cup diced tomato
2 Tbsp. sliced black olives
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt”
4 cups Vegetarian Chili; ingredients:
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup diced yellow onions
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup cooked black, pinto, or red kidney beans (if using canned, choose no-salt-added or low-sodium beans and rinse and drain well before use)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Arrange the tortilla chips in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is just melted.
- Sprinkle the tomato, olives, and scallion evenly over the nachos. Divide into 2 equal portions and serve each portion with 2 cups Vegetarian Chili topped with 2 Tbsp. Greek yogurt. Vegetarian Chili
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrot, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir well and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato juice and beans. Simmer for 10 minutes.
To find out more about Denise Austin go to her website http://www.deniseaustin.com/