The Real Housewives Of New York City’s newer member is Kristen Taekman. Not only is she a reality star, but also a wife, mother, professional model, philanthropist and blogger.
I met her in California with her husband Josh to introduce EBOOST to Southern Californians shopping in Whole Foods. Josh’s company EBOOST has two new EBOOST products: Spruce, an on the go green juice and POW, a pre-workout powder.
After standing for hours in front of Whole Foods, Kristen was happy to sit down with me to talk about her marriage, family, being on The Real Housewives of New York City television show, Pop of Color and her Smile Train trip to Mexico. Here is what I learned:
1. At the age of 16 she enrolled in the John Casablanca Modeling School while living in a small town in Connecticut. She was one of the few at her school who starting working as a model in Boston and New York City. After high school she landed jobs in Paris and Milan. Her modeling agent continues to book this classic blonde modeling jobs.
2. Kristen started a blog www.lastnightslook.com It evolved when RHONYC fans wanted to know what she wore on the show the night it aired. She had so many inquiries that she decided to put her it all in one format for people to click on. Her fashion inspiration is Carrie Bradshaw’s style from Sex in the City.
3. Her friend Dawn helped her connect with Josh Taekman 13 years ago in New York City. Josh was enamored with Kristen for eight months before they finally went out on their first date.
4. Josh and Kristen have been married for 11 years and have two children.
5. Kristen’s signature style is layering her necklaces. She is not afraid to wear multiple necklaces or big chunky ones.
6. Kristen has her own nail polish line, Pop of Color by Kristen Taekman, that offers different colors with names like I’m Pretty, Pajamas, Rookie and Blue Moon and The King. Her nail polish can be purchased at Rickys New York City, East Hampton and Miami, Florida. Since the polishes are 4 free (meaning without formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate, toluene and formaldehyde resin) and vegan and made in New York she is hoping they will go nationwide. She now has four new colors and is working on releasing a lip gloss line.
7. Kristen learned about the Smile Train organization at a charity event. During a trip with doctors and administrators of Smile Train to a rural village in Mexico, she met families with children born with cleft lips and palates and realized how beneficial this philanthropy is for these families. For $250, Smile Train gives a child the gift of a smile. Instead of being isolated in a village, these children become celebrities. “The power of a smile is worth every penny,” said Taekman.
8. One of her favorite NYC tourist tours is the Sex in the City bus tour with stops at Magnolia Bakery and other Carrie Bradshaw favorite hot spots.
9. Her wardrobe style is high-low. She loves affordable gladiator sandals at Top Shop with a short dress and purse with bursts of color. (see her blog)
10. When in Los Angeles, Kristen and Josh enjoy going to The Six in Calabasas, Gjelina in Venice and California Chicken Cafe.
Watch Kristen in Bravo’s The Real Housewives of New York City on Tuesday nights at 8 p.m.